Cacciaguida

Defending the 12th century since the 14th; blogging since the 21st.

Catholicism, Conservatism, the Middle Ages, Opera, and Historical and Literary Objets d'Art blogged by a suburban dad who teaches law and writes stuff.


"Very fun." -- J. Bottum, Editor, FIRST THINGS

"Too modest" -- Elinor Dashwood

"Perhaps the wisest man on the Web" -- Henry Dieterich

"Hat tip: me (but really Cacciaguida)" -- Diana Feygin, Editor, THE YALE FREE PRESS

"You are my sire. You give me confidence to speak. You raise my heart so high that I am no more I." -- Dante

"Fabulous!"-- Warlock D.J. Prod of Didsbury

Who was Cacciaguida? See Dante's PARADISO, Cantos XV, XVI, & XVII.


E-mail me


Sunday, May 02, 2004
 
Caddy me beck to ewld Vahginny

You wouldn't guess it from her blog, but Elinor is a huge fan of Brit-coms, especially To the Manor Born (my favorite), Are You Being Served, AbFab, and Keeping Up Appearances. Of course I like them too, and/but (do I want the adversative here? I wonder) they constitute a weapon near to hand if I'm ever accused of malforming Cacciadelia's tastes. (She is nine year old, you'll remember.)

The other day the whole rest of the family (i.e. all but me) watched an episode of KUA in which a relative of Hyacinth's is on the rebound from one of her tragic love affairs. Later I found Cacciadelia, who has always had an ear for punchlines and dialect (like her Brideshead namesake, who "had an aptitude for mimicry, I remembered, in the schoolroom") repeating, complete with lower-middle-class faux-Oxbridge accent, "I'm gewing beck to being a vahgin!"