Cacciaguida

Defending the 12th century since the 14th; blogging since the 21st.

Catholicism, Conservatism, the Middle Ages, Opera, and Historical and Literary Objets d'Art blogged by a suburban dad who teaches law and writes stuff.


"Very fun." -- J. Bottum, Editor, FIRST THINGS

"Too modest" -- Elinor Dashwood

"Perhaps the wisest man on the Web" -- Henry Dieterich

"Hat tip: me (but really Cacciaguida)" -- Diana Feygin, Editor, THE YALE FREE PRESS

"You are my sire. You give me confidence to speak. You raise my heart so high that I am no more I." -- Dante

"Fabulous!"-- Warlock D.J. Prod of Didsbury

Who was Cacciaguida? See Dante's PARADISO, Cantos XV, XVI, & XVII.


E-mail me


Friday, April 21, 2006
 

L.Cpl. Jonathan Lee Morris, USMC, is back from the wars!

To a festive greeting by moms, dads, wives, girlfriends, a d.j., a refreshment tent, and a playspace for the littlest, two busloads of Marines completed their journey home from Iraq's Haditha Dam (via Kuwait, Frankfurt, Reykjavik, and New Hampshire) and pulled up in front of their barracks at MCB Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, at about ten this morning.

Waiting with us was a six-month old baby girl, with her mom and (very young-looking) grandma. Grandma confirmed to us that this would be the first time dad and daughter had seen each other, this having been a seven-month mission. It was emotional enough when we hugged JL, sure -- but I didn't lose it utterly until I saw that tall young Lance Corporal just off the bus and holding his baby girl for the first time.

Many military moms have only a picture to show the growing child. Let's pray for them, and give thanks for what I saw today.

Jonathan Lee remains at Lejeune for a few more days, before transferring to his unit's base and living, once again, at home.