Cacciaguida

Defending the 12th century since the 14th; blogging since the 21st.

Catholicism, Conservatism, the Middle Ages, Opera, and Historical and Literary Objets d'Art blogged by a suburban dad who teaches law and writes stuff.


"Very fun." -- J. Bottum, Editor, FIRST THINGS

"Too modest" -- Elinor Dashwood

"Perhaps the wisest man on the Web" -- Henry Dieterich

"Hat tip: me (but really Cacciaguida)" -- Diana Feygin, Editor, THE YALE FREE PRESS

"You are my sire. You give me confidence to speak. You raise my heart so high that I am no more I." -- Dante

"Fabulous!"-- Warlock D.J. Prod of Didsbury

Who was Cacciaguida? See Dante's PARADISO, Cantos XV, XVI, & XVII.


E-mail me


Wednesday, August 16, 2006
 
A yurt couldn't hurt: I wasn't kidding about this -- I actually am going to Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, later this month, with a one-day stopover in Seoul, Korea. If anyone has any advice (my airline and hotel needs are taken care of), I'd be grateful.

It was in 1206 that Genghis (or, as now tranliterated, Chinggis) Khan unified the Mongols into an empire and began westward expeditions that ended up kicking you-know-who's you-know-what. The good folks of Ulaanbaatar have been celebrating the 800th anniversary this year, to the point of (so I've heard -- I'll report back whether it's true) taking down the statue of a Stalin-era tinpot from in front of the Khural (parliament) building and replacing him with Genghis.

Particular question: does anyone know the best way to get from Incheon Airport to the Seoul Cathedral, and back? I'm not keen on using the subway, because, since this is my first visit to Seoul (or indeed anywhere in Asia!), I'd rather see the city than its underground tubes. I'm willing to take a cab, but perhaps there are cheaper surface alternatives.