Cacciaguida

Defending the 12th century since the 14th; blogging since the 21st.

Catholicism, Conservatism, the Middle Ages, Opera, and Historical and Literary Objets d'Art blogged by a suburban dad who teaches law and writes stuff.


"Very fun." -- J. Bottum, Editor, FIRST THINGS

"Too modest" -- Elinor Dashwood

"Perhaps the wisest man on the Web" -- Henry Dieterich

"Hat tip: me (but really Cacciaguida)" -- Diana Feygin, Editor, THE YALE FREE PRESS

"You are my sire. You give me confidence to speak. You raise my heart so high that I am no more I." -- Dante

"Fabulous!"-- Warlock D.J. Prod of Didsbury

Who was Cacciaguida? See Dante's PARADISO, Cantos XV, XVI, & XVII.


E-mail me


Thursday, October 19, 2006
 
The Mets in NLCS Game 7

Well. After we split the first two games in New York, I said well: assuming pessimistically (as one does with the Mets) that we only take one of the three games in St. Louis, I still fancy our chances of winning the last two in New York, thereby winning the Championship and going on to the World Series. Nothing about the starting line-ups: just my sense of the Shea Stadium dynamic.

Well, we did win only one of three in St. Louis. Going into last night, the only appropriate attitude was:



Doomed! Doomed, I tell you!


Never an inappropriate pre-game show with the Mets. But, guess what -- we won last night.

Tonight the pitching matchup is more lopsided in St. Louis's favor; we've been fighting the whole postseason with neither Pedro nor El Duque. But in our last six games started by Oliver Perez, the kid who will start tonight against the fearsome Jeff Suppan, we're 4-2. Look, maybe a nice respectable first-place finish in the NL East is all we'll have to take home from 2006. But well: let's see if the Shea atmosphere, Jose Reyes with his upbeat Ricky-Ricardo-ing, and the Carloses witht their bats, can make it exciting.

ESPN: Mets heavily favored tonight by America, minus Missouri and a few surrounding marches.