Cacciaguida

Defending the 12th century since the 14th; blogging since the 21st.

Catholicism, Conservatism, the Middle Ages, Opera, and Historical and Literary Objets d'Art blogged by a suburban dad who teaches law and writes stuff.


"Very fun." -- J. Bottum, Editor, FIRST THINGS

"Too modest" -- Elinor Dashwood

"Perhaps the wisest man on the Web" -- Henry Dieterich

"Hat tip: me (but really Cacciaguida)" -- Diana Feygin, Editor, THE YALE FREE PRESS

"You are my sire. You give me confidence to speak. You raise my heart so high that I am no more I." -- Dante

"Fabulous!"-- Warlock D.J. Prod of Didsbury

Who was Cacciaguida? See Dante's PARADISO, Cantos XV, XVI, & XVII.


E-mail me


Tuesday, November 14, 2006
 
Arinze: "Take Latin out of the refrigerator."

(Note that, according to the diligent, detail-oriented reporter who wrote up this story: "Homilies, he said, should always be in the vernacular." I'm sure there was a lot of debate about that. After all, if medieval peasants and 1950s Irish mothers could understand homilies in Latin, why can't we? -- Of course, I can think of many homilies I've heard where congregational comprehension ought to have been minimized, but Latin is not the way to achieve that, given that, in the ideal world, we would all be fluent in it. -- Actually, in the true "ideal world," we will be, since it's what they speak in Heaven.)