Cacciaguida

Defending the 12th century since the 14th; blogging since the 21st.

Catholicism, Conservatism, the Middle Ages, Opera, and Historical and Literary Objets d'Art blogged by a suburban dad who teaches law and writes stuff.


"Very fun." -- J. Bottum, Editor, FIRST THINGS

"Too modest" -- Elinor Dashwood

"Perhaps the wisest man on the Web" -- Henry Dieterich

"Hat tip: me (but really Cacciaguida)" -- Diana Feygin, Editor, THE YALE FREE PRESS

"You are my sire. You give me confidence to speak. You raise my heart so high that I am no more I." -- Dante

"Fabulous!"-- Warlock D.J. Prod of Didsbury

Who was Cacciaguida? See Dante's PARADISO, Cantos XV, XVI, & XVII.


E-mail me


Tuesday, November 28, 2006
 
The Hill reports:
At a private reception held at the White House with newly elected lawmakers shortly after the election, Bush asked Webb how his son, a Marine lance corporal serving in Iraq, was doing.

Webb responded that he really wanted to see his son brought back home, said a person who heard about the exchange from Webb.

“I didn’t ask you that, I asked how he’s doing,” Bush retorted, according to the source.

Webb confessed that he was so angered by this that he was tempted to slug the commander-in-chief, reported the source, but of course didn’t.

Well Jim -- I calls ya Jim on accounta we both got sons what's Marine Lance Corporals and been/are in Iraq -- I tell you what. No, not nothin' 'bout the difference 'tween White House receptions and White House policy meetins', 'cuz I don' reckon the folks back home set no store on them kind o' hoyty-toyty distinctions, so neither do you.

No, what I'll tell you is that that guy you were talkin' to won him an election (or two: I know there's some everlastin' hollerin' goin' on about that) to be President, while you done win one to be a Senator, which is... legislative branch... separation of... you still with me, Jim? Look, Senator's high but not as high as President, 'zwat it boils down to, and only the President got him that Commander in Chief thing goin' in the Constitution.

Know what that means, Jim? Means he can tell you your son, or mine, to do any good-goddam thing he wants to. S'long as it ain't no war crime, our sons gotta do it. I know folks say he went for the tall grass during 'Nam, while the only tall grass you was in was the kind with VC in it. Know that; read your book; country honored you like it should, and all that. Know what all that's worth when it comes to who decides when your son comes home, or -- heck who knows -- when mine goes back?

That's right Jim. Yer lernin'.