Cacciaguida

Defending the 12th century since the 14th; blogging since the 21st.

Catholicism, Conservatism, the Middle Ages, Opera, and Historical and Literary Objets d'Art blogged by a suburban dad who teaches law and writes stuff.


"Very fun." -- J. Bottum, Editor, FIRST THINGS

"Too modest" -- Elinor Dashwood

"Perhaps the wisest man on the Web" -- Henry Dieterich

"Hat tip: me (but really Cacciaguida)" -- Diana Feygin, Editor, THE YALE FREE PRESS

"You are my sire. You give me confidence to speak. You raise my heart so high that I am no more I." -- Dante

"Fabulous!"-- Warlock D.J. Prod of Didsbury

Who was Cacciaguida? See Dante's PARADISO, Cantos XV, XVI, & XVII.


E-mail me


Thursday, December 21, 2006
 
The title of the seventh and final Harry Potter book has been announced:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows


Hm. Hm. A "hallow" is a saint, but there's no particular reason to expect JK to use it that way. How have author British fantasy authors used this word? Any Charles Williams fans out there care to help us out?

At first glance I'd say this title neither indicates nor excludes what some of us have been suggesting is the way-coolest possible ending: that the successful struggle against Voldemort entails the end of the entire magical world. It strengthens marginally my conviction that Harry is going to be the one who pops his clogs (or will be among those who pop theirs).