Cacciaguida

Defending the 12th century since the 14th; blogging since the 21st.

Catholicism, Conservatism, the Middle Ages, Opera, and Historical and Literary Objets d'Art blogged by a suburban dad who teaches law and writes stuff.


"Very fun." -- J. Bottum, Editor, FIRST THINGS

"Too modest" -- Elinor Dashwood

"Perhaps the wisest man on the Web" -- Henry Dieterich

"Hat tip: me (but really Cacciaguida)" -- Diana Feygin, Editor, THE YALE FREE PRESS

"You are my sire. You give me confidence to speak. You raise my heart so high that I am no more I." -- Dante

"Fabulous!"-- Warlock D.J. Prod of Didsbury

Who was Cacciaguida? See Dante's PARADISO, Cantos XV, XVI, & XVII.


E-mail me


Wednesday, July 18, 2007
 
A Neville theory

I was reading somewhere a speculation that the reason Neville has a bad memory is that someone benevolently did a memory charm on him so he wouldn't remember the torture of his parents.

After all, Harry can remember, under Dementor influence, some details of the murder of his parents; Neville is the same age as Harry, and we know that attack by Bellatrix et al. on Frank and Alice happened after Voldemort's disappearance. We have not been told whether Neville was present, but if he saw any of it, it would be a scarring memory.

But the speculator left it at that, and didn't go on to ask who did that memory charm. Well, whom do we know who had access to Neville, has his best interests at heart, and flunked her charms O.W.L.?

Yes -- Gran!! A wonderful lady -- though even the best are not above a just rebuke, and McGonagall has Gran's number on the question of letting Neville be the fine young man he is rather than holding him up exclusively to the model of Frank. I hope, and half-expect, that Gran will play a significant role in the last book.