Cacciaguida

Defending the 12th century since the 14th; blogging since the 21st.

Catholicism, Conservatism, the Middle Ages, Opera, and Historical and Literary Objets d'Art blogged by a suburban dad who teaches law and writes stuff.


"Very fun." -- J. Bottum, Editor, FIRST THINGS

"Too modest" -- Elinor Dashwood

"Perhaps the wisest man on the Web" -- Henry Dieterich

"Hat tip: me (but really Cacciaguida)" -- Diana Feygin, Editor, THE YALE FREE PRESS

"You are my sire. You give me confidence to speak. You raise my heart so high that I am no more I." -- Dante

"Fabulous!"-- Warlock D.J. Prod of Didsbury

Who was Cacciaguida? See Dante's PARADISO, Cantos XV, XVI, & XVII.


E-mail me


Monday, July 16, 2007
 
Washington Post book review editor Ron Charles is incensed that Potter fans don't move on to Jonathan Strange (as to which I have no opinion yet) and to Pullman's His Dark Materials series. Why, the latter "explores philosophical themes (including a scathing assault on organized religion)"!

WHOA! A scathing assault on organized religion! How, um, novel! What besides obstinate illiteracy could possibly keep people from going for that?

And this in an essay in which he calls Potter "derivative." I'll retire to Bedlam.

(Mr. Charles's critique of the public's retreat from fiction-reading for pleasure is unexceptionable as far as it goes, but it's been said a million times, and is therefore, to put it mildly, derivative.)